Friday, December 13, 2013

a special place in gehenom for Tom Friedman of the NY Times

There had to be a special place in gehenom for Jews like Thomas Friedman who write stuff like this:
Never have I seen Israel and America’s core Arab allies working more in concert to stymie a major foreign policy initiative of a sitting U.S. president, and never have I seen more lawmakers — Democrats and Republicans — more willing to take Israel’s side against their own president’s. I’m certain this comes less from any careful consideration of the facts and more from a growing tendency by many American lawmakers to do whatever the Israel lobby asks them to do in order to garner Jewish votes and campaign donations.  [Bolding added by me.]
Yup, it's all about Jewish power and Jewish money.  The lies of Obama (even Ha'aretz had a recent editorial pointing it out), the threat of a nuclear Iran sponsoring terror, the danger to Israel's security and the security of the entire Middle East, all of this is just hokum to Tom Friedman.

Someone sent me an e-mail recently with some comments on a post I wrote about six years ago.  I’m grateful for the e-mail, but to be honest I was a bit surprised that someone would bother to still read and comment on something I wrote six years ago.  It got me thinking about what someone might discover in the archives here six years from now.  In six years if chas v'shalom have a President Hillary in office, having gotten there with the help of 75% of the Jewish vote and plenty of liberal Jewish dollars, if chas v'shalom Hezbolla, now armed with an Iranian built nuclear device (c"v), is threatening the world, what will think when we look back at these moments in time?  What will be say when we look back at Jewish leaders who sat smiling at a Chanukah Dinner hosted by an American President who, in the words of Amnon Lord, "simply prefers Iran to Israel," and as a result, has emboldened and enabled our enemies?  What will we say at our own silence and lack of protest? 

The Chasam Sofer says that 10 Teves is different from all the other fasts because on this day we are not mourning a churban or tragedy -- we are mourning the siege of Yerushalayim, the threat of churban, the start of the process.  The churban could still have been averted if only we would have taken action. 

Have we learned the lesson of this ta'anis?

I pray none of my nightmares come to pass.  I don't need to self-satisfaction of being able to point to a post like this years down the road just to say, "I told you so." 

In this case, I really would much rather be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. One assumes that the commentor realized that unless you're toheh al harishonim, newness has nothing to do with worthiness, and that over time a lot of very good things must have accumulated here. In fact, you have an average of ten posts per parsha, 82 on Pesach, 304 "lomdus," and even if you subtract the three on mussar, that still leaves 301.

    ReplyDelete