Tuesday, July 18, 2023

why NYC transit continues going down the drain

From the Citizens Budget Committee:

The MTA’s budget gap for 2023 had widened to $2.6 billion largely due to declining ridership, the decision to skip the 2021 fare increase, and a substantial increase in fare evasion.

Headline in the news from about a year and a half ago:

Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg Says His Office Won't Prosecute Fare Evasion, Resisting Arrest, Prostitution And More Without Accompanying Felony Charge

The report continues:

The MTA’s budget gap for 2023 had widened to $2.6 billion...In 2029, CBC projects the MTA will face a budget gap exceeding $900 million, once the benefit of federal COVID-related is exhausted.

In the news today:

Free rides are coming to five city bus routes by Sept. 24, the MTA said on Monday.

Just brilliant!  I would not expect anything less from the City of NY.   


2 comments:

  1. Makes me bitter - In a Brooklyn subway one time -- by accident, I got lost and ended up walking past a turnstile which was not my intention - I then asked someone to let me back in and some undercover cops ticketed me even when I explained myself ... I had to go fight it and still lost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real criminals don't bother to show up or pay the ticket. They can't be arrested, so why bother?
      That's the way the system works -- the law cracks down on honest people while the real criminals walk free.

      Delete