Wednesday, September 23, 2009

a political note

My coworker unfortunately decided to keep his radio on to listen to Obama's speech to the UN this morning. Perhaps I should bring in a radio to listen to Glenn Beck or Rush or Mark Levin, but I'm too nice. Anyway, for anyone who is still delusional and thinks this President is a friend of Israel, WAKE UP! In case you missed it, Obama declared, "America does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements" and to called for "...A viable, independent Palestinian state with contiguous territory that ends the occupation that began in 1967." This is not a political blog so I don't want to get into a wider discussion of the issues, but I think it is very important to recognize the danger that American foreign policy now poses for Israel. Sorry for this brief break from our regular program -- I just had to get that out of my system.

For those of you who can't remember what happened last time a deal was made regarding settlements, here's a little reminder of what we lost. And what did we gain?
Warning: watch with a tissue nearby to catch the tears.

1 comment:

  1. Tal Benschar10:12 PM

    What Obama said has been official U.S. policy since 1967. Some Presidents have found it convenient to ignore it in practice, but that has been the official line for every President since Johnson.

    I am no fan of Obama by far. I'd rather my dead dog be President than him.

    But he has said many things that are pro-Israel. Under his administration the U.S. has determined to quash the Goldstone report. It has turned into a non-entity as far as the Security Counsel is concerned. (Yes, the human rights committee or something like that will debate it. Everyone knows that is a joke -- a human rights committee headed by the likes of Somalia and Libya.)

    Thus far other than talk he has done little to pressure Israel on anything. I was just in Israel for three weeks this summer and building everywhere is proceeding at a fever pitch.

    I'd prefer George Bush Jr., but you could do a lot worse than Obama. (George Bush Sr. comes to mind.)

    ReplyDelete