Monday, June 05, 2023

can you say the bracha on thunder/lightening in between washing and ha'motzi?

Friday night right after I washed and was about to say ha'motzi, I heard what sounded like a rumble of thunder, and I wondered whether one can be mafsik between the bracha of netilat yadayim and ha'motzi to say the bracha of she'kocho u'gevuraso malei olam.  I looked around in a few places, but have yet to find this din mefurash anyway.  If someone can point me to a mareh makom, that would be nice.

The Shulchan Aruch in OC 166 writes:

יש אומרים שאין צריך ליזהר מלהפסיק בין נטילה להמוציא ויש אומרים שצריך ליזהר וטוב ליזהר.  (ואם שהה כדי הלוך כ"ב אמה מקרי הפסק): 

My initial thought was that one can be medayek from the Mechaber that it's only טוב ליזהר and avoid a hefsek, but not a problem m'ikar ha'din.  Therefore, perhaps for the mitzvah overes of saying the bracha on thunder, one can be mafsik.

The M.B. writes in sk 1 commenting on the psak that שאין צריך ליזהר:

אבל אם יושב בטל ואינו עושה בינתים שום מעשה אף ששוהה הרבה או אפילו משיח מעט אין לחוש כיון שהשלחן ערוך לפניו ודעתו לאכול מיד לא מסיח דעתו

The Aruch haShulchan agrees with my diyuk, however, takes a more negative view of speaking in between the bracha on netilah and the ha'motzi:

"יש אומרים שאין צריך ליזהר מלהפסיק בין נטילה ל'המוציא', ויש אומרים שצריך ליזהר, וטוב ליזהר" עכ"ל, הרי כתב רק שטוב ליזהר, אבל עיקר דעתו שאין צריך ליזהר. אבל לדבר - וודאי אסור, אלא אם כן לצורך הסעודה,

2 comments:

  1. this article
    and see there footnote 11, thinks you should say the beracha but he does not have an explicit source

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the mareh makom. I see his thinking is along the same lines I suggested in the post.

      Delete